So it’s fall right? Well apparently it hasn’t made its way to Tucson, because 95 degrees ain’t fall weather. Had to run 14 miles today and I crashed and burned thanks to a series of mistakes all because I thought fall was here…
1. Woke up at 5:40AM, but didn’t get out the door until 6:15AM. I’m normally out the door by 5:30AM during the summer months.
2. Decided against putting too much ice in my water bottle because it’s supposed to be cooler right?
3. Decided against bringing any of my shot bloks because I was trying to save them for my longer runs.
4. Headed out too fast. Slowest pace was the first mile at 8:44 min/mile, then averaged around 8:25 min/mile for the subsequent miles until mile 11+.
5. Forgot to buy a bigger water bottle (my current water bottle is sufficient for a 12 mile run max. Any runs longer than that I’d have to switch over to a larger water bottle).
Two thirds through the run, I swear the temp was already in the high 70s and low 80s. By the time I got to mile 10, I was debating whether to cut the run short or continue on, as I was craving for some ice cold watermelon juice. Finally, I decided to run home, drink some watermelon juice, restock my water bottle, and head back out for the remaining 2.5 miles. The rest of the run would have been OK had I not been greedy with the watermelon juice. The whole time I felt fullness in my stomach with fluid sloshing around, and had to stop several times to stretch out the side stitch.
I felt tricked by mother nature, like a confused honeybee when spring arrives too soon. Lesson learned, and will make the necessary adjustments…
This entry was posted in Running
. Bookmark the permalink